Skip to main content

Science?

I've been at odds with things i've seen and heard lately, and I've had an idea playing around in my head. It has to do with science vs. the unknown. Many people close to me have various different opinions about what is credible, what is true, and why. One friend believes in crystal healing, in chakras and reiki. Her boyfriend believes in science and if something hasn't been proven then it can't be true. He is unable to put faith in something he doesn't understand. And most people are. Which is why science was invented. But it was also why religion was invented. These things are our way of explaining our environment, to give reason to what we don't understand so the world is a less scary place. Now I have been raised a scientist, and I believe that science has a lot to teach us. That's not to say it doesn't have a lot to learn as well. Science is an ever-evolving field. The first deep scientific thinkers thought the sun revolved around the Earth. But with more investigation, we found the truth.and people have slowly been chipping away at the universe, cataloging, sorting and defining every aspect of our environment. It seems that science has learnt everything there is to know. But this isn't so. We are constantly in a state of flux, where we keep increasing our repertoire of facts, but the more we know, the more there is to know, and it is an endless quest. Science is not perfect. Science has made mistakes. Science created the atom bomb. It created nuclear weapons, nuclear waste. It has created heroin, crystal meth, Oxycontin. It has created drug addiction and drug resistant diseases. It has created Styrofoam, High density polyethylene, and countless other products the earth doesn't know what to do with. And so our miracles of science have created landfills, trash heaps and plastic islands in the ocean. It has created oil spills and acid rain. If science was almighty, we wouldn't have pollution. We would have biodegradable everything, we would have clean fuels and clean oceans. But once one thing is invented, there needs to be a true problem, a strong need to change, for there to be a new, better take on the invention. And people can't see the problems they're causing. We don't live in a landfill, we dont see the nuclear waste seeping through old containments. We can go on believing man is the most wonderful species because we are so ingenious and smart. We can keep believing science has all the answers, when it doesn't. There are other schools of thought out there. Other solutions to our problems. Other ways to heal our bodies and our minds, and the earth.
I don't really know how to feel. I love to learn science, and it is valuable, but it is not almighty and it does not claim a monopoly over learning. There are things science can't teach. But science can always learn more, learn better, and hopefully learn to fix its mistakes.

Comments

pihzaz said…
a wise man once told me

"everything in life is a stepping stone, hold onto nothing. people go through their lives so blindly, following in other peoples paths...people are lazy, thats why we have religions, governments and science because people dont want to think for themselves, they want someone else to tell them what to eat, what to wear, what to think..."

why not create our own story who cares what's true, imagination can give life to the most unimaginable of realities

love this man.
were getting closer to freedom
i promise

Popular posts from this blog

mother

i don't know what it is but i cant stand you anymore. maybe because I've been with you for 6 weeks straight. then i got two weeks of freedom, glorious freedom, and it's hard to come back to living in this house, with you, with whom i now associate all the wonderful memories of arguments that you could never bare to lose, the days spent waiting at each corner for you as you lagged behind inconsiderately taking pictures. my friend told me last night, in alcohol fuelled praise, that you were real. that she had incredible respect for you. and i just couldn't agree. you're real only in the sense that you let us know exactly what is on your mind without bothering if it upsets us. but you don't take the time to listen to me, to consider my opinions, because everything anyone else thinks is completely illogical and a waste of time. you can't grasp that you're views aren't one size fits all. they don't work for everyone; especially not me. You can't...

Sweet Nothings

You know me too well. you break these daily boundaries these walls i tried not to build you pave the way for happiness in other conciousnesess. I had a dream last night. It was beautiful. And all because of you

Here's a secret for you;

I have always been fascinated with the human body, but more so the female body. I think of it as beautiful and artistic. Ever since I was young I'd been subjected to the naked female form. Swimming pool showers and older women walking nude. Being taboo, my friends would all be so scarred and afraid to look. But I'd been subjected to it at a young age, and grew accustomed. Being around women who weren't ashamed to be exposed opened my eyes, and gave me an appreciation for this work of art hung in flesh. And so I find that drawings and paitings of naked women are just so beautiful. I can't explain it more than that. There's nothing much more beautiful than a women who isn't afraid or ashamed of her body. [from rue des images ]