Skip to main content

Science?

I've been at odds with things i've seen and heard lately, and I've had an idea playing around in my head. It has to do with science vs. the unknown. Many people close to me have various different opinions about what is credible, what is true, and why. One friend believes in crystal healing, in chakras and reiki. Her boyfriend believes in science and if something hasn't been proven then it can't be true. He is unable to put faith in something he doesn't understand. And most people are. Which is why science was invented. But it was also why religion was invented. These things are our way of explaining our environment, to give reason to what we don't understand so the world is a less scary place. Now I have been raised a scientist, and I believe that science has a lot to teach us. That's not to say it doesn't have a lot to learn as well. Science is an ever-evolving field. The first deep scientific thinkers thought the sun revolved around the Earth. But with more investigation, we found the truth.and people have slowly been chipping away at the universe, cataloging, sorting and defining every aspect of our environment. It seems that science has learnt everything there is to know. But this isn't so. We are constantly in a state of flux, where we keep increasing our repertoire of facts, but the more we know, the more there is to know, and it is an endless quest. Science is not perfect. Science has made mistakes. Science created the atom bomb. It created nuclear weapons, nuclear waste. It has created heroin, crystal meth, Oxycontin. It has created drug addiction and drug resistant diseases. It has created Styrofoam, High density polyethylene, and countless other products the earth doesn't know what to do with. And so our miracles of science have created landfills, trash heaps and plastic islands in the ocean. It has created oil spills and acid rain. If science was almighty, we wouldn't have pollution. We would have biodegradable everything, we would have clean fuels and clean oceans. But once one thing is invented, there needs to be a true problem, a strong need to change, for there to be a new, better take on the invention. And people can't see the problems they're causing. We don't live in a landfill, we dont see the nuclear waste seeping through old containments. We can go on believing man is the most wonderful species because we are so ingenious and smart. We can keep believing science has all the answers, when it doesn't. There are other schools of thought out there. Other solutions to our problems. Other ways to heal our bodies and our minds, and the earth.
I don't really know how to feel. I love to learn science, and it is valuable, but it is not almighty and it does not claim a monopoly over learning. There are things science can't teach. But science can always learn more, learn better, and hopefully learn to fix its mistakes.

Comments

pihzaz said…
a wise man once told me

"everything in life is a stepping stone, hold onto nothing. people go through their lives so blindly, following in other peoples paths...people are lazy, thats why we have religions, governments and science because people dont want to think for themselves, they want someone else to tell them what to eat, what to wear, what to think..."

why not create our own story who cares what's true, imagination can give life to the most unimaginable of realities

love this man.
were getting closer to freedom
i promise

Popular posts from this blog

teardas

this is the reason i broke up with him in the first place. because it was so much stress and it just seemed hopeless. i know that's a harsh word but its true. he's got so much on his plate and i dont want any more on mine. i have my own set of worries i need to take care of. but i cant just turn him away. the way he opened up to me...it litteraly moved me to tears. i feel his dispair, his depression. he has nothing. but i dont want him to have no one too. at the moment i feel thats all i can do; give him the comfort of knowing that i'm here for him, that he has me. contrairy to his beleifs he hasnt lost me. if he really had, i wouldnt have seen him yestrerday, or tuesday, or any times before that. we wouldnt have acted or talked the way we did if he'd truley lost me. his words stung because i felt his pain through them. his feelings soaking the words and turning them a different colour. i never told him to get the fuck out of my life, but it hurt to know thats how he fe

I wish I could

I'm a moon person too. But I'm too caught up in my petty securities and routines to wander the streets at night

neighborhood nights

I feel like somewhere along my life there was a shift. Suddenly nothing was for fun any more, it was all necessary. Suddenly I'm bothering with what others think, afraid to link any connotations I deem negative to my being. Why do I care what people I've never met, who'll forget they ever saw me, think of me; this obscure stranger in their peripherals. It's a warped sense of mind and place, seeing the space around me in my mind's made up ways. So I stray away from everyone, isolating myself unwittingly, turning them against me. Self fulfilling prophecies, I succeed in creating this reality. I need to break free from my mind's mentalities, with which negativity has propelled me. So I've started a new sport. I call it neighborhood night dancing. Donning headphones and heading out alone to the empty streets as the city sleeps, and moving to the beat. Letting it compel me towards a freedom long gone missing. Letting go is an art. Complete release is a tough